In Stock Now!
Also new in stock from Klim: Apex Jacket, Latitude Jacket, Women’s Altitude Jacket and Pants, the 2016 Dakar offroad jersey and pants, hydration packs, fleece mid layers, Inversion Pro Gloves, and more!
The Klim Badlands Jacket and Pant suit is ready for just about anything you can throw at it, from here to Kathmandu; and when you’re on that journey, you need gear that does everything well. It’s pricey–$950 for the jacket, it’s in the realm of the Rev’It! Defender Pro GTX or BMW’s Rallye suit–but if you’re looking to survive every weather scenario, it might be the best performance value in the range. Seven, eight, ten years from now, there’s you, on highways, goat trails, and everything in between; and there’s your gear, keeping you protected, confident, comfortable, and dry, on every ride, year after year. Looking for the next generation co-pilot? The 2016 Klim Badlands might be it.
Highlights: The Jacket
- 3-Layer Gore-Tex Pro Shell, Pro Shell Talisman Superfabric, and Pro Shell Armacor for the highest level of waterproofing, breathability, durability, and abrasion protection with light weight
- D3o T5 Evo XT Pro protectors at the elbows and shoulder exceed CE-Level 1 ratings for limb protection
- CE-Level 2 D3o Viper Pro back protector
- Eight waterproof, zippered air intake vents on the front and two exhaust vents at the back
- Abundant 3M Scotchlite industrial-grade reflectivity for nighttime visibility
- Removable and adjustable kidney belt
- Pocket for hydration bladder and internal routing for hydration hose (hydration pack sold separately)
Highlights: The Pants
- 3-Layer Gore-Tex Pro Shell, Pro Shell Talisman Superfabric, Pro Shell Cordura 840D, and Pro Shell Armacor construction for the highest level of waterproofing, breathability, durability, and abrasion protection with light weight
- Poron XRD foam tailbone coverage; D3o T5 Evo XT protectors at knees and hips
- Two waterproof thigh air intake zips, two rear zippered exhausts
- Full-grain leather heat panels at inner calf and knee
- Industrial-grade 3M Scotchlite reflectivity
- Adjustable boot cuff and knee areas
3-Layer Gore-Tex Pro Shell
The Badlands is constructed with 3-Layer (3-L) Gore-Tex Pro Shell. 3-L Gore-Tex technology is newer, more advanced, and much more expensive to manufacture than the more commonly used 2-L Gore-Tex.
2-L Gore-Tex is made by bonding an exterior nylon material to a waterproof and breathable membrane. Some kind of liner is added between the membrane and the body for comfort, to protect the membrane from wear, and, in some case, for insulation. In 3-Layer Gore-Tex products, all three layers–the outer, the membrane, and the inner liner–are all bonded together. This construction makes a lighter, more agile garment and it also makes it breath better. 3-L Gore-Tex is lined with tricot material, which is highly hydrophilic, actively drawing sweat and heat away from the body and onto the membrane, where it easily evaporates out.
For additional info about different types of waterproofing, check out our Waterproof Gear Guide.
3-Layer Gore-Tex Pro Shell Talisman Superfabric
3-L Gore-Tex Pro Shell Talisman is like normal 3-L Pro Shell, but with tiny, raised thermoplastic dots on the outside. The Talisman dots greatly enhance the Gore-Tex’s abrasion resistance and its ability to slide over surfaces without weakening the fabric. The Badlands jacket features Talisman in the high-wear areas of the elbows, shoulders, and forearms, to keep your jacket intact after tumbles and scrapes. The Badlands pants feature Talisman at the knees.
3-Layer Gore-Tex Pro Shell Armacor
The outer layer of 3-L Gore-Tex Armacor is a Kelvar-reinforced, lattice-weave ripstop material. Armacor provides excellent abrasion resistance and tear resistance with light weight. Armacor is also solar reflective, so it doesn’t absorb the heat from the sun as much as other fabrics, keeping you cooler in direct sunlight. The Badlands pants feature Armacor on the seat; the jacket on the back, chest, and waist pockets.
D3o T5 Evo XT and Viper Protectors
D3o T5 Evo XT protectors are featured in the Badlands jacket at the elbows and shoulders, and at the knees and hips on the pants. D3o XT protectors are slightly thicker than standard D3o T5 protectors for better impact protection, but are still flexible and lightweight for active adventure riding. XT protectors exceed CE-Level 1 ratings for limb protectors in testing.
A CE Level-2-certified D3o Viper Pro back protector is included. For more information about the safety ratings of limb and back protection, read our Guide to Back Protectors and Replacement Armor.
See all the features of the Klim Badlands and the rest of our 2016 Klim gear at Road Rider today…
Badlands Sizing and Price
- Available in sizes S-3XL
- Price: S-2XL $949.99; 3XL $999.99
- Available in waist sizes 30-42; tall sizes available in 32-40
- Price: Standard length $649.99; tall length $669.99